We have successfully connected millions of people. However, there are certain steps that all users should take to ensure that their experiences are positive and secure.
Fraud & Scam Awareness:
DO NOT SEND MONEY – They are likely scammers. Never share your personal or financial information to people you don’t know.
DON’T ever send money to someone you meet online, especially by wire transfer or Western Union. Scammers often insist that people wire money, especially overseas, because it’s virtually impossible to reverse the transaction or trace the money. Don’t wire money to strangers or to someone who claims to be in an emergency. Never include your last name, e-mail address, home address, phone #, place of work, or any other identifying information in your profile or initial e-mail messages. Stop communicating with anyone who pressures you for personal or financial information or attempts in any way to trick you into revealing it.
Please be aware of the following typical scam warning signs:
Beware of fake profiles, fake pictures, requests for money, people claiming to be “out of the country” and in need of financial assistance, hardship stories and stories that simply don’t add up. USE GOOD JUDGMENT AND COMMON SENSE
Additional Typical Scam Warning Signs:
- Great photos with vague descriptions
- Odd sounding emails that could be templates
- She’s immediately in love with you (“If it seems too good to be true…”)
- Travel plans and scanned visas
- Quickly asks to talk or chat on an outside email or messaging service
- Vanishes mysteriously from the site, then reappears under a different name
- Talks about “destiny” or “fate”
- Recently widowed
- Makes an inordinate amount of grammar and/or spelling errors or an “off” or “odd” tone
- Claims to be from U.S. but currently travelling, living or working abroad
- Stuck in another country due to visa problem or family emergency
- Asks you for money
- Foreign profiles are more likely to be scams trying to part you from your money, especially Nigerian, Eastern European and Philippine profiles. Nigerian advance-fee fraud has been around for many years, but has lately been on the rise. These scammers politely promise tons of money in exchange for help moving large sums of money out of their country. There are legitimate dating matches out there in these countries, but you need to be extra-careful and investigate the person you are looking to date. Requests for money = you’re being scammed!
Meeting In Person:
There is no substitute for acting with caution when communicating with any stranger who wants to meet you. Members should get to know a potential date well before agreeing to meet. Initial meetings should use common sense, such as meeting in a public place or including being with a friend. If you choose to have a face-to-face meeting with another member, always tell someone in your family or a friend where you are going and when you will return. Never agree to be picked up at your home. Always provide your own transportation to and from your date and meet in a public place with many people around. Be careful, don’t believe everything you hear.
Use Common Sense: If you’re uncomfortable on a date for any reason, just get up and walk out.
WE DO NOT VERIFY IDENTITIES OF OUR USERS:
KEEP IN MIND THAT WE DO NOT SCREEN OR VERIFY INFORMATION PROVIDED BY OUR USERS OR CONDUCT CRIMINAL SCREENINGS OF OUR USERS.
Health Background Checks:
If a relationship leads to sexual contact, you potentially are at risk for a variety of health hazards. and /or pregnancy. We recommend that neither of you have sexual contact until you have an STD screening. Make sure to consult your physician or public health authorities for safety advice.
We do not make our services available to anyone less than 18 years of age. However, we do not verify ages. Thus, it is your responsibility to ensure that any relationship you have with one of our members is legal. If you have evidence of an under-18-year-old on our system, please contact us.
We care about the safety and security of our users. Please notify us immediately of any suspicious activity or click the “Report User” buttons so that we can take action.